We aren't talking teabags here folks, but the kind made with real tealeaves, 'take the pot to the kettle..not the kettle to the pot' type of tea.
During one of our gossips over a steaming brew, I noticed her tea cosy was looking a little shabby (no offence intended), but very well loved I must say!
It was then, during a lull between sewing a new top and knitting up a couple of very thick scarves for a dear friend who is heading off on a holiday, that I decided to come up with a new tea cosy for Kath.
Being a collector of very delicate and divine china, this cosy had to reflect, not only the quality tips being brewed within the pot, but also the importance of the whole 'tea' ritual....
Perhaps even a bit of a reflection on times gone by when our mothers, Betty and Lucy, sat together and mulled over family hardships, illnesses and more pressing subjects like how to fix the country, cause the politicians certainly can't....
I thought about the things Kath loves...Art Deco, fine china and of course, the garden...here is what I came up with...
I knitted it using 8 ply and 5.5mm needles.
The main body of the cosy is a basket weave stitch. I also knitted 24 flowers and 12 leaves as well as a handle to make the cosy look like a basket. I painstakingly arranged and sewed on each leaf and flower to look like a basket full of flowers.
Well, Kath loved the cosy and it immediately took it's place on the serving tray, warming the teapot.
So as we sat, bone china cup and saucer in hand, accompanied by a slice of delicious home made cake, we solved the world's problems, enjoyed the midwinter sunshine and everything felt just fine...
No comments:
Post a Comment